Squash casserole. Nancy Mullins

What with all the squash available right now, yesterday I made my mother's "original" (at least she didn't have a recipe) SQUASH CASSEROLE.
I used all the ingredients she did except the cheese.  She used VELVEETA  (in everything) and lived to be 96.  So I've been thinking all morning I should just quit avoiding it.  Thinking about going and getting it and keeping it on hand, like she did, just in case I need it.

HER RECIPE (her amounts)
1.  1 lb. SAUSAGE (cooked & crumbled)

2.  1 can cream of mushroom OR celery OR onion SOUP

3.  1 large cottage cheese carton full of cooked SQUASH (yellow or zucchini or mixed) (I used more)

4.  1 or 2 ONIONS cut up and sautéed in a little oil or cooked with sausage.

5. A chunk of VELVEETA

6.  Top with generous RITZ cracker crumb and butter mix

Mix and bake at 350-375 till bubbly and topping is golden.

Bon appetite

Nancy Mullins
2016. 0710